Managing Editor – Medicine Journals, Global Academic publisher of books, journals & library products & services
Our client is a global academic publisher of books, journals and library products and services. Their focus is on impactful research in social and behavioural science to improve society, by producing high quality educational resources that empower researchers, educators and institutions to shape the future.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the rapidly expanding journals team. You will have experience in journals publishing, ideally with a background in oncology or other clinical/preclinical disciplines.
- Hands-on journal development, including article-level commissioning, original research article solicitation, special collection development, editorial board development, community building, and relationship management.
- Involvement in setting and executing annual journal strategy, including working with a team of internal Editors to execute.
- Building specialised scientific knowledge of allocated subject areas.
- Selecting and inviting peer reviewers; working with external editors and internal.
- Managing Section Editors to make final accept/reject/revise recommendations.
- Making decisions on manuscripts as part of the peer review process.
- Managing existing open access titles and developing the editorial boards.
- Achieve specific growth targets while emphasizing ethical peer review and publishing practices.
- Driving impact factor growth.
- Driving revenue growth via increased submissions of APC-paying manuscripts.
- Participation in department projects and communities of practice.
- A biomedical background to at least MSc level (PhD or MD is preferred).
- A firm grasp of the principles of biomedical research, research ethics, and reporting standards. A background in oncology or other clinical/preclinical disciplines is preferred.
- Ideally, experience in journals publishing in an editorial role, including experience with peer review and/or making decisions on manuscripts.
- Strong administration and project management skills.
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills and confidence in working with both internal and external stakeholders, including senior academics.
- Talent for establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with journal editors.
- A proactive, growth-focused mindset, good commercial awareness and a strong understanding of the Open Access journals publishing business and processes.
- Willingness to travel to attend conferences, both in the UK and internationally.
We welcome applications from all members of society and embrace a diverse workforce.
To enable an equitable experience for all and give you the best chance of success, if you have any specific requirements for any stage of the interview process, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.